Motor Boat and Sports Boat Training

Motor and Sports Boat Training with the RYAThe Royal Yacht Association (RYA) organise courses for those wanting to experience the fun of motor boats or sports boats. They are recognised throughout the world and are provided by approved centres throughout the country. Ensure the training centre you are going to use has the RYA Tick Mark - this indicates a high level of quality of traning and also of safety. Visit the RYA website ( for a list of centres in your area.

Sports Boat Courses

Sports Boat Courses vary depending on the level of knowledge and experience of the candidate. They start from the Powerboat Level 1 course designed to introduce a beginner to boating and includes such practices are launching and recovery, and use of safety equipment. The Powerboat Advanced Course is aimed at both leaisure and commercial small-craft users and includes a session of navigation during the night. Longer examinations include the Coastal Skipper Practical Motor Cruising Course which lasts for 5 days.

RYA Motor Cruising SchemeRYA Motor Cruising Scheme

The RYA run a scheme called The RYA Motor Cruising Scheme. This is designed to encourage high standards of seamanship and navigation amongst skippers and crew. The scheme is structured as a series of practical and shorebased courses, which are intended to be complementary. There's something for everyone, from beginners to the experienced skipper.



RYA National Powerboat Scheme

The RYA National Powerboat Scheme was designed to provide training to suite both the casual powerboat user, but also those who use powerboats for work, or racing. Part of this scheme includes the Safety Boat syllabus will covers a wide variety of safety aspects not just for powerboat users but also those using windsurfers and canoes.

RYA Personal Watercraft Certificate of CompetenceRYA Personal Watercraft Certificate of Competence

The RYA have organised a Personal Watercraft Certificate of Competence for those wishing to use personal watercraft (e.g. jetskis). Most courses are carried out with a RIB as a safety boat. The majority of insurance companies require owners of PWC's to hold the RYA Personal Watercraft (PWC) certificate of competence.

Safety Boat Course

RYA organised course for those who use powerboats. It is designed to support and safety cover for other watersports such as sailing, windsurfing and canoeing. It includes rescue techniques and elements of race management and mark laying.

RYA also runs courses on Radar, Diesel Engine Maintenance, Sea survival and First Aid.


The views and information held within this site are intended only as a guide. Expert advice should be obtained before embarking on any boat purchase or training. Sailing Info are not responsible for information held on any pages external to this website.
Partner Sites: ;

Site Created and Marketed by
Sigma Internet Services